I do this odd thing every time I try to go on a diet where I decide on the first day to skip the rice but choose to eat the most wicked type of food. You know what I mean….food with heavy sauces and all the works. I guess this is to compensate for the lack of a complete meal and also to prevent myself from going through a long, frustrating descent to the world of hunger.
I am clearly disillusioned. How can I lose weight when these days I find myself cooking Kare Kare, Bistek Tagalog and my own version of Caldereta. Yes I use chicken instead of beef but it also has coco cream. And it’s so good. You have to try this at home. I swear you’ll never cook Beef or Chicken Caldereta without coco cream ever again.
If you’re on a diet, skip the coco cream.
750 grams of Chicken, cut into serving pieces
1 250 ml of Tomato Sauce
1 can of Coconut Cream
3 Tbsp. of Pickle Relish
4 Tomatoes, sliced
1 onion, quartered
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 bell pepper, sliced or julienned
3 medium potatoes, quartered
Baguio beans, optional
Green or Black olives
Cayenne Pepper or Chili Pepper Flakes
- Saute onions, garlic and tomatoes until garlic is slightly browned and onions and tomatoes are wilted.
- Add the tomato sauce and let it simmer for five minutes before adding the coconut cream. Simmer until it begins to thicken a bit. If you’re using beef, it’s best to saute and brown the beef first before adding the tomato sauce and coconut cream.
- Add the chicken and let it cook and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the pickles, potatoes, cayenne pepper and half of the bell peppers.
- When the potato is just about tender, add the olives and baguio beans.
- Season with salt and pepper and simmer for another five minutes.
- Serve hot.